Saturday, April 30, 2016

FASHION CONFESSIONS: Prabal Gurung

Prabal Gurung, a New York designer from Nepal, is known for his bold color combinations and elegant silhouettes. For him, a women’s intelligence is equally as important as what they wear often saying he’s designing clothes for a thinking man’s sex symbol. So it’s no surprise to see a range of women wearing his clothes from movie stars like Sarah Jessica Parker and Demi Moore to high-profile and influential women like Michelle Obama and Oprah Winfrey. I sat down with Gurung at Neapolitan Collection in Winnetka to talk about many things including his new spring collection for the Chicago Tribune but I managed to sneak in a few questions for Fashion Junkie.

WHAT’S YOUR FASHION ADDICTION?
Vintage white tee shirts. I have a great collection where ever I travel I’ll go to thrifts stores to find something. So that’s my addiction.

WHO’S YOUR STYLE ICON?
Personally, for me, it would be James Dean but as a muse, it would be a mix of Audrey Hepburn and Catherine Deneuve.
Audrey Hepburn

PRIZED POSSESSION IN YOUR CLOSET?
I have this vintage Romeo gilet sports windbreaker. I don’t think I’ve ever worn it, but I still have it!

LAST SONG YOU DOWNLOAD?
I downloaded whole Rihanna’s album

Rihanna's Anti album

BEST PIECE OF ADVICE YOU’VE EVER RECEIVED?
Grace under pressure

LAST TIME YOU WERE STARSTRUCK?
I was invited to the opening night of Color Purple by my friend Jennifer Hudson, and I was seated right next to Gloria Steinem.

I’ve been fortunate enough to meet people like the First Lady or the President, but that was a different kind of starstruck.

Steinem, with the history of all the work she has done I’ve always been in awe of and always admired her. Just to be able to meet her I was so nervous I was shaking.

Prabal Gurung's collection is available at Neapolitan Collection in Winnetka.

Neapolitan Collection

CHICAGO TRIBUNE, Gurung's Collection inspired by Nepal

2 comments:

  1. I love your approach it is totally comparable to mine. I love wearisome blacks and leather grays. My partner is until the end of time tiresome to get me to adjoin color. This is such a great company. The Nice Guys Jackson Healy Jacket

    ReplyDelete