Wednesday, February 20, 2013

FASHION CONFESSIONS: DURO OLOWU Designer

Fashion Junkie interviews Duro Olowu regarding his fashion confessions
Nigeria born British based designer, Duro Olowu, is the master of mixing rich colors and bold prints. However life started very different for Duro who was originally a lawyer but gave it all up to pursue his true love of fashion. 2004 saw his first RTW collection at London Fashion week, proceeding the following year to be named New Designer of the Year by the British Fashion Council. Duro’s inspiration comes from the shades and patterns of his African culture however with great tailoring and an urban touch he keeps it modern. Michelle Obama, Uma Thurman and Linda Evangelista are big fans and all have been spotted in Duro’s designs. This spring sees an exciting new chapter in his career as he teams up with jcp to design a collection of clothes, accessories and home-wear. I had the opportunity to chat with Duro at his launch about his fashion addictions.
Duro Olowu designs a collection for jcp look 20

WHAT’S YOUR FASHION ADDICTION?
Books on fashion and art, I’m obsessed. I also love beautiful things regardless of how much they cost. So If I see something beautiful I’ll buy it for my wife. I probable buy more shoes for my wife than she does.

WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE THING ABOUT LIVING IN NEW YORK?
I love the fact that women in NY make an effort, I love the vibrancy of the city, the fact that people get up in the morning and grab life.

WHOSE YOUR STYLE ICON?
As a man it’s Harry Belafonte and Gregory Peck in the 60s.

HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONAL STYLE?
Old school Savile Row meets Harlem fly. I love mixing things and I love comfort but I always feel I need to look smart.

ONE THING YOU COULDN’T LIVE WITHOUT?
My wife.
Duro Olowu designs a collection for jcp look 21
Duro Olowu designs a collection for jcp look 14
Duro Olowu’s limited-edition collection for jcp spring 2013 is out this March ($10-$100).

No comments:

Post a Comment